Lanzarote Arrecife Airport (ACE)
History, Facts and Overview
(Arrecife, Lanzarote, Spain)
During the 1930s it was decided that Lanzarote needed an aerodrome to connect neighbouring Canary Islands and mainland Spain. Many plans were made and the search for a suitable site began. In the early 1940s, a large plot along the Guacimeta coastline and close to Arrecife was chosen and in 1946, Lanzarote Arrecife Airport began serving passenger planes.
The following decades saw many improvements, to both the terminal and runway, with lighting added to the runway in the mid-1960s, allowing the airport to function at night. Many other renovations were made during the 1970s and 1980s, and more recently, a new two-storey terminal building was erected in 1999, complete with over 40 check-in desks and a number of skywalks connecting the aircraft directly.
There are four ATMs located around the terminal and one bureau de change counter. Shopping and dining options are comprehensive and passengers will find their essential needs are met more than adequately. The main stores at Lanzarote Airport include the Divers toy shop, the Relay newsagents, the Air Zone supermarket, and the Sibarium delicatessen, where a range of traditional Canary Island food can be purchased.
Situated within the boarding area of Lanzarote Airport, Café-Café, Cafeteria Meda's and Caffé Ritazza all feature a selection of sandwiches, baguettes, pastries and cakes. An outlet of the Häagen Dazs ice-cream parlour is also nearby. The Occidental Grand Teguise Playa Hotel Lanzarote is a short drive away from the airport and offers a good selection of facilities for business people.